Toad in the hole
A delicious family friendly dish that can be served as a mid-week supper or a weekend treat.
For the batter
3 large free range eggs
100g plain flour
For the sausages and gravy
2 large white onions, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons of butter
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
sea salt and pepper to season
12 Wicks Manor Pork Sausages
1 heaped tablespoon plain flour
- Preheat your oven to about 240°C/475°F/gas 9)
- Whisk the eggs, flour, milk and a pinch of salt in a bowl, then pour into a jug.
- For the gravy put a large pan on a medium heat. Add the butter, olive oil and chopped onions. Add in the leaves from the rosemary sprigs. Gently cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden.
- Put the sausages into a roasting tray and sprinkle over a little olive oil and cook in the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Place the cooked sausages to a deep open proof dish. Pour in the batter, then put straight into the middle of the oven.
- Cook for around 8 to 10 minutes, or until the pudding is golden and fluffy. Do not open the door.
- Finish off making the gravy. Add beef stock with hot water to your onion sauce you made earlier. Gently simmer and then pour into a jug.
- Serve with rich onion gravy and green beans.
Share this post: