Toad in the hole
A delicious family friendly dish that can be served as a mid-week supper or a weekend treat.
For the batter
3 large free range eggs
100g plain flour
For the sausages and gravy
2 large white onions, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons of butter
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
sea salt and pepper to season
12 Wicks Manor Pork Sausages
1 heaped tablespoon plain flour
- Preheat your oven to about 240°C/475°F/gas 9)
- Whisk the eggs, flour, milk and a pinch of salt in a bowl, then pour into a jug.
- For the gravy put a large pan on a medium heat. Add the butter, olive oil and chopped onions. Add in the leaves from the rosemary sprigs. Gently cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden.
- Put the sausages into a roasting tray and sprinkle over a little olive oil and cook in the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Place the cooked sausages to a deep open proof dish. Pour in the batter, then put straight into the middle of the oven.
- Cook for around 8 to 10 minutes, or until the pudding is golden and fluffy. Do not open the door.
- Finish off making the gravy. Add beef stock with hot water to your onion sauce you made earlier. Gently simmer and then pour into a jug.
- Serve with rich onion gravy and green beans.
You can use any of our premium pork sausages to make this including our Olde English Sausages, Pork and Apple or Gluten Free Cumberland.
Share this post: